M.Tech (CSE) with specialization in Data Engineering
The explosive growth of data coupled with the increasing demands on data management systems has made effective data engineering a necessity in several important and diverse application domains such as geographic information systems, healthcare, fundamental sciences, business and finance. Given the increasing complexity of data, the need for efficient data engineering techniques for obtaining useful information from the data has never been greater. Information can be regarded as an asset, which can significantly facilitate decision-making processes in any organization, thereby saving the organization both time as well as money. Consequently, there is an increasing industry demand for specialized professionals in the area of Data Engineering. To address this growing demand, the Information Management & Data Analytics (IMDA) Group at IIIT-Delhi proposes to offer an M.Tech Program in Computer Science (CS) with specialization in Data Engineering.
The main objective of the program is to develop manpower for data and information management related jobs. This will be achieved by an approach involving rigorous and comprehensive academic course work covering theory, fundamentals and hands-on experience with real-world applications.
- In addition to the core course requirements for the M.Tech program, to obtain specialization in Data Engineering a student must:
- Complete at least 16 credits of courses in the overall area of Data Engineering.
- Do his/her thesis or Scholarly paper credits in Data Engineering. The advisor will certify this fact.
- If a course appears in multiple requirements (e.g., in the list of core courses and also in the list of specialization courses for DE), it can be taken to satisfy both the requirements. However, it will be counted only once with respect to the overall credit requirements.
The program offers several elective courses, focusing on different aspects of data management. A student can choose to do any set of courses from these to satisfy his/her specialization requirement of 16 credits. Some of the courses that are currently offered as part of this program are given below.
- Data Mining (CSE506)
- Database System Implementation (CES507)
- Information Retrieval (CSE508)
- Big Data Analytics (CSE510A)
- Introduction to spatial Computing
- Machine Learning (CSE543)
- GPU Computing (CSE560)
- Probabilistic Graphical Models (CSE561 )
- Data Warehousing (CSE606)
- Cloud Computing and Virtualization
- Collaborative Filtering
- Privacy in Location-based Services
- Semantic Web
- Web Intelligence and Big Data Analytics
- Business Intelligence and Data Warehousing
- Financial Data Analytics
- Information Integration and Data Analytics
- Distributed Data Mining
- Database Methods in Information Retrieval
We have young and dynamic faculty at IIIT-Delhi. A student can take elective courses offered by faculty members in different areas - the focus areas. Most of the courses in Data Engineeringwill be taught by the following faculty members. In addition, there are plans to have some modules taught by experts from industry.
While internships during summer is not a requirement for the M.Tech degree, students are encouraged to do an internship to gain industry experience. To facilitate internships, the institute has made arrangements with some corporations to host interns from this program.