PhD Admissions April 2017
IIIT-Delhi is looking for candidates who have solid foundations in CSE/ ECE/ CB/ Mathematics (including good programming expertise in relevant domain), and interest in pursuing research in one of the below mentioned areas.
PhD (Computer Science and Engineering)
- Big Data
- Image Processing/ Machine Learning/ Applied Machine Learning
- Mobile Computing
- Program Analysis
- Randomized & Quantum algorithm, Algorithms for data mining and security/privacy
- Virtual reality (VR) and 3D visualization
PhD (Electronics and Communications Engineering)
- Heterogeneous System Architectures
- Machine Learning
- Multi Robot Systems, Aerial Vehicle and Control Systems
- Optical/Wireless Communications
- Radar / Antennas
- RF/THz over Fiber
- Signal and Image Processing
PhD (Computational Biology)
- Cancer Genomics
- Computational Biology
- Computer-aided Medicine
- Genome & Image based Biomarkers
- Informatics for designing Drug and Vaccine
- Mobile apps for Biotechnology
- Operating system for Biocomputing
- Statistical Genomics
- Applied and Computational Math
- Coding Theory
- Number Theory
- More than 125 PhD scholars. Many with fellowships viz Prime Minister’s Fellowship, IBM, Intel, TCS, Visvesvaraya.
- Highly prolific faculty. Collaborations with leading international research groups.
- Attractive stipend of Rs.27,000/- per month in the first year and up to Rs.30,000/- after the 2nd Year. Financial support to present papers in top international conferences.
- Fresh B.Tech. graduates with research aptitude are strongly encouraged to apply. GATE score is not mandatory.
- Students willing to have a global exposure may enroll in the collaborative PhD program with selected partner groups/institutes across the world. Students are also eligible for IIIT-Delhi Overseas Research Fellowship under this program (details).
- Industry / employed persons have an option to pursue a sponsored full-time PhD program (details).
PhD (CSE)/ PhD (ECE)
BTech/ BE/ MTech/ MS/ ME in CSE/ IT/ ECE/ EE with a CGPA at least 7.5 on a scale of 10 (or equivalent) or 70%.
MCA/MSc(CSE/IT/ECE/EE and allied areas) degree is considered equivalent to the BTech/BE degree. Such students are eligible to apply with a condition that they have BSc in Computer Science or BSc in any other subject with Mathematics as one of the courses. The marks requirement is same as given above.
MSc in Mathematics with at least 70% marks in both B.Sc and M.Sc or 7.5 CGPA and strong inclination towards CSE/ECE.
Essential qualification for PhD (CB) students: A valid GATE score/National Fellowship (e.g. CSIR-UGC NET, DST INSPIRE, ICMR-JRF, DBT-JRF)
BTech / BE / MTech / MS / ME in CSE / IT / ECE / EE / Other Engineering with a CGPA of at least 6.5 on a scale of 10 (or equivalent) or 60% .
MCA/MSc (CSE/IT/ECE/EE and allied areas) degree is considered equivalent to the BTech/BE degree. Such students are eligible to apply with the condition that they have BSc in Computer Science or BSc in any other subject with Mathematics as one of the courses. The marks requirement is same as given above for BTech/BE degrees.
MSc in any other science discipline with at least 60% marks in both B.Sc and M.Sc. and candidate should have their own fellowship through national examination like CSIR-UGC NET, DST INSPIRE, ICMR-JRF, DBT-JRF (they will not be eligible for fellowship from the Institute). If admitted, these candidates may have to do additional courses in Mathematics and/or Computing, as needed.
Essential qualification for PhD (Mathematics) students: JRF from either UGC/CSIR/NBHM/DST or GATE score at least 400.
MSc(Maths)/MSc (Physics)/MSc(Statistics)/ MStat/MPhil(Maths)/ BTech/ MTech/ BE / ME in CS/ ECE/ Maths & CS and similar inter-disciplinary programs with a CGPA of at least 7.5 on a scale of 10 (or equivalent) or at least 70% marks at UG and PG levels.
- IIIT-Delhi provides relaxation to SC, ST, PH and CW category candidates.
- Candidates in the final year of their programs and who expect to complete all their qualifying degree requirements before the date of registration are also eligible to apply for admissions. For short-listing and selection purposes, their performance until the preceding semester (preceding year if their programs are year based) would be considered but their admission would be provisional, subject to their meeting the minimum eligibility criteria, after their final qualifying examination results are announced. Requirements may be relaxed for exceptional candidates with publications/ R&D/software development experience in their area of interest or those from institutes of national and international repute.
- Fill up the online PhD application form (Available here).
- The online applications portal will be available from March 1, 2017 (17:00 Hrs) till March 22, 2017 (23:59 Hrs).
- Candidates can apply online only. There is no provision for offline submission of application forms.
- There is no application fee for PhD program.
The selection for PhD (CSE) and PhD (ECE) admission will comprise of 3 stages:
1st Stage: All the applicants will be screened on the basis of their academic record. Screened candidates will be invited to IIIT-Delhi to participate in the second stage.
2nd Stage: The screened candidates have to appear for a written exam at IIIT-Delhi. Shortlisted candidates will be required to take part in the third stage.
Curriculum for written test for PhD(CSE) and PhD(ECE) is as under:
3rd Stage: Shortlisted candidates (after the written test) will be interviewed on the same day.
PhD (CB) and PhD (Mathematics) candidates – The question of holding written test and or interview will be decided after scrutiny of the applications and the candidates concerned will be informed in advance. A final shortlist, based on the performance in the test and the interview will be the final list of admitted candidates.
|Online Application Starts on||March 1, 2017(Wednesday) 17:00 Hrs onwards|
|Last Date of Online Application||March 22, 2017(Wednesday) Till 23:59 Hrs|
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates||March 28, 2017(Tuesday)|
|Test & Interview (at IIIT-Delhi campus)||April 8, 2017 (Saturday)|
Get most of your doubts cleared about PhD Admission 2017 in Frequently Asked Questions.
For the outstation candidates (non-NCR) who are shortlisted to appear for the written test, IIIT-Delhi will reimburse their travel fare by second sleeper or public bus fare by the shortest route, whichever is cheapest. They will have to furnish the proof of travel. If a candidate decides to choose a different mode (e.g. 3AC, air, etc.), IIIT-Delhi will only reimburse the second sleeper or public transport bus fare by the shortest route.
For general queries, please refer to the frequently asked questions. Please do not email us with your resume/CV. The application must be entered online. For other information, you may contact us through:
Phone No: 91-11-26907400 (During office hours between 9:30 am to 5:30 pm)
Note: All admission related decisions (i.e. screening, shortlisting, and selection) made by the IIIT-D PhD Admission Committee will be final.