Frequently Asked Questions
Please see the general institute FAQ on the status of IIIT-Delhi, its accreditation, financial model, etc. which are available from the homepage of the institute. This FAQ is mostly about the BTech admission for 2016
1.What is the status of IIIT-Delhi, is it recognized by UGC/AICTE, does it have any relationship with IP university, etc?
See on Institute FAQ Page.
2. I got less than 80% in Mathematics in XII, but my overall marks are more than 80%, will I be eligible for admission in IIIT-Delhi ?
No. A student is eligible if in Class XII Boards only if he/she: (i) has obtained 80% or more in Mathematics, (ii) AND has obtained 80% or more aggregate score of best five subjects (best five subjects must including Physics, Chemistry & Math) in Class XII Board results.
3. I got less than 80% in XII, shall I still apply for the admission, just in case seats become available later?
No, you do not fulfill the criteria. Even if the seats become available only the eligible candidates will be given a chance.
4. If I got 80% in Mathematics in XII, but my overall marks are less than 80%, will I be eligible for admission in IIIT-Delhi ?
No. As the eligibility is mentioned above a candidate can only apply if he/she has scored 80% or more in both Mathematics and overall aggregate score of best 5 (including chemistry, physics and mathematics)
5. I obtained 79.99% - am I eligible?
No, you are not eligible for admissions in IIIT-Delhi even if your percentage is short by .1% or one mark
6. I have taken Math, but have not done Physics or Chemistry in my XII Boards. I have got more than 80% in Math, and my overall percentage is also more than 80%. Am I eligible?
No. A student must have studied Physics, Chemistry along with Math in class XII. To be considered for admission, you need 80 percent or more marks in aggregate of five subjects (including Physics, Chemistry & Math), 80 percent or more marks in Math and a valid score of Paper-1 of JEE (Main) 2016.
7. I have done my XII from IB board. Am I eligible to apply?
Yes, IB Board is considered equivalent to CBSE. However, before you are granted admission, you will have to show that you satisfy the eligibility criteria. If your Board does not give percentages, then you will have to show an official conversion to percentages.
8. Why is the eligibility criteria rather high in marks?
To ensure that students have the necessary background in mathematics and overall, the eligibility criteria has been kept at this level. Another reason is that IIIT Delhi has very limited seats, and it is necessary to restrict the number of applicants to a reasonable number.
9. Are there any seats reserved for Central/State Board Topper candidates?
No, none of the seats are reserved for Central/State Board Topper candidates.
10. Is there any other source of information regarding the admissions other than the website?
Website is the primary source of all information regarding admission. Please also visit www.jacdelhi.nic.in, the portal for joint admission counseling which will be activated soon.
11. Who is a “Delhi candidate”?
The students who have undertaken qualifying exams (i.e. 12th) from the schools located in Delhi (having PIN CODE of Delhi), irrespective of the location of their hometown, would be considered as "Delhi Candidate".
12. Are schools located in Noida/Gurgaon and other places in NCR Delhi but outside New Delhi considered as Delhi school?
No, "Delhi" candidates must have undertaken qualifying exams (i.e. XIIth) from the schools having PIN CODE of Delhi.
13. Any photocopy of the certificate need to be attached along with the application form or not?
No certificates need to be sent - they will be checked at the time of counselling.
14. What is the source of latest information about the exam, Institute, etc.?
Latest information is available on the Institute website. Pls also refer www.jacdelhi.nic.in (which will be activated soon)
15. Which degree will be awarded? What is the duration?
IIIT Delhi awards B.Tech. (CSE), B.Tech(ECE) and B.Tech (CSAM) degrees. The duration of the program is 4 years.
16. Where can I find the placement record?
Placement record of the institute is available on the placement page of our website.
17. What is the fee per annum?
Please refer B.Tech admission brochure
18. Is there any fee waiver?
Please refer the B.Tech admission page and brochure 2016 for income-linked fee waivers/scholarships.
19. Is there any management quota?
There is no management quota.
20. I passed XII in 2015, can I apply?
Yes, provided you satisfy the eligibility criteria and appeared for Paper 1 of JEE Main 2016.
21. I have taken up improvement exam and now have 80% or above marks in mathematics and aggregate. Can I apply?
Yes, students who have taken up improvement exam and have now secured 80% or above marks in mathematics and aggregate are eligible to apply provided they have a valid score of Paper-1 of JEE (Main) 2016.
22. Can the expelled/debarred students be considered for admission?
Students expelled from any academic institute are not eligible for admission.
23. When to apply for admission, etc.?
For dates, please check the admission brochure 2016 and www.jacdelhi.nic.in (to be activated soon)
24. I am from outside Delhi PH / OBC category. Am I eligible to apply under these categories?
Please refer brochure for the eligibility and number of seats under these categories.
25. How do I pay the application fee?
Please refer the admission brochure 2016 and www.jacdelhi.nic.in (to be activated soon)
26. Can a student who has done schooling from Delhi apply under Outside Delhi Quota?
No, if you have done XII from Delhi school you can apply as a Delhi candidate only
27. Do you have any quota for sports, arts & culture or Olympiads?
There is no quota for any of these categories. However, some bonus marks are given to applicants with specific achievements. For details, please refer admission brochure 2016.
28. I don't have CSE in class 12th. Am I eligible for admission to B.Tech(CSE)
Yes, as far as you had mathematics, physics and chemistry as your XII standard subjects
29. Is the transport facility (college bus) available?
No we do not provide transport facility but IIIT-Delhi campus is very well connected to metro and other public transports.
30. Are there some seats for Foreign Nationals/PIOs/NRIs
25 Supernumerary seats are reserved for Foreign Nationals/PIOs/NRIs. Admission for these seats is done through DASA. Please refer https://www.dasanit.org/dasa2016/ for details.