PhD Admissions May 2019 (For SSH Department)
IIIT Delhi offers PhD programs in Computational Biology (CB), Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Electronics and Communications Engineering (ECE), Human Centre & Design (HCD), Mathematics (Maths), and Social Sciences and Humanities (SSH).
Prospective candidates satisfying the eligibility criteria are encouraged to acquaint themselves with the research areas of our faculty members for suitable match of interest.
Salient Features of PhD programme
Financial Support: Students joining the PhD programme as regular student will be considered for Institute Fellowship. Presently institute is offering fellowship at the rate of Rs.27,000/- per month in the first year and up to Rs.30,000/- after the 2nd Year.
- » Fresh B.Tech. graduates with research aptitude are strongly encouraged to apply. GATE score is not mandatory.
- » Full time PhD students are encouraged to present their research work at international conferences. Financial support of up to Rs. 2L for the entire duration of the programme is available.
- » Support upto US $6000 may be considered in deserving cases to conduct research collaborations with reputed Universities/Labs abroad for a period of 3 to 6 months.
- » Support upto Rs 50k is provided towards purchase of laptop/ desktop.
- » We currently have more than 170 PhD scholars - Many with fellowships viz Prime Minister’s Fellowship, TCS, IBM, Intel, Cognizant & Visvesvaraya.
- » We have faculty with strong reserach credentials who have collaborations with international research groups.
- » Industry / employed persons have an option to pursue a sponsored full-time PhD program (details).
- » Our PhD Graduates are doing well in their concerned areas. Find more about them here
Minimum Eligibility Criteria
For discipline wise minimum eligibility criteria, please click here. The concerned Department may use higher cut off levels for short listing besides giving due consideration to the way questions are answered in the application form. Candidates belonging to SC/ST/PD categories would be eligible for relaxations, as per norms, in the selection criteria.
Research Areas (For Admissions to 2019-2020 AY, Monsoon Session)
Industrial Organization, Behavioral Economics
Family/Kinship and ICTs, Popular Representation, Migrant Transnational Networks, Gender and Media
» Candidates in the final year of their programs and who expect to complete all their qualifying degree requirements before the date of registration are also eligible to apply for admissions. For short-listing and selection purposes, their performance until the preceding semester (preceding year if their programs are year based) would be considered but their admission would be provisional, subject to their meeting the minimum eligibility criteria, after their final qualifying examination results are announced. Requirements may be relaxed for exceptional candidates with publications / R&D / software development experience in their area of interest or those from institutes of national and international repute.
- » Fill up the online PhD application form (Apply Here)
- » The online applications portal is available from 22nd April 2019 till 12th May 2019 5 PM.
- » Candidates can apply only through the online application portal. There is no provision for offline submission of application forms.
- » There is no application fee for PhD program.
Admission is generally offered on the basis of an interview, which may be supplemented by a written test, if necessary. The Institute will invite a limited number of candidates for a written test and interview based on the academic records, statement of purpose, etc. The final selection will be mainly based on academic credentials, written test and/or interview.
The candidates who do not qualify in the written test need not appear for interview. The reserved category candidates will be given due relaxation in cutoff marks as per the norms. Candidates for the interview after passing the entrance test will be provided with one-night’s hostel accommodation for May 11, 2019.
|Online Application Starts on||22nd April 2019|
|Last Date of Online Application||12th May 2019 5 PM|
|Announcement of shortlisted candidates||15th May 2019 (after 5 PM)|
|Written test/ Interview||22nd May 2019|
Get most of your doubts cleared about PhD Admission 2019 in Frequently Asked Questions
For the outstation candidates (non-NCR) who are shortlisted to appear for the written test/ interview, IIIT-Delhi will reimburse their travel fare by second sleeper or public bus fare by the shortest route, whichever is cheapest. They will have to furnish the proof of travel. If a candidate decides to choose a different mode (e.g. 3AC, air, etc.), IIIT-Delhi will only reimburse the second sleeper or public transport bus fare by the shortest route.
For general queries, please refer to the frequently asked questions. Please do not email us with your resume/CV. The application must be entered online. For other information, you may contact us through:
Contact for Admission related queries 011-26907505 (During office hours between 9:30 am to 5:30 pm)
Contact for Technical queries (Related to application form filling only) 011-26907575 (During hours between 2:30 pm to 5:30 pm)
Note: All admission related decisions (i.e. screening, shortlisting, and selection) made by the IIIT-D PhD Admission Committee will be final.