M.Tech (CSE) with specialization in Artificial Intelligence
Artificial Intelligence (AI) has become an integral part of technology in our daily lives, driving to office, searching for a restaurant, getting news updates, and recommendations on social media are all using AI. With increase in usage, there is a significant requirement of researchers who can understand AI and build AI technologies. This program will provide students an opportunity to learn both foundational and experimental components of AI and Machine Learning. A student completing this program will be able to undertake industry careers involving innovation and problem solving using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies and research careers in AI, ML, and, in general, Computer Science areas. Along with courses that provide specialization in AI, students will also have option to explore some applied domains such as computer vision, natural language processing, robotics, and software analysis.
- MTech in CS with specialization in AI may be done with a thesis or without a thesis (with Capstone Project). In both the options, a student must complete core AI courses, select at least 2 courses from core AI electives, and one from regular AI elective and may choose remaining courses from open electives as discussed below. There will be four types of courses:
(i) Core AI courses,
(ii) Core AI electives,
(iii) Regular AI elective,
(iv) open electives
- The overall credits requirement for the MTech is 48 credits. Requirements for thesis and Capstone Project options are as follows:
- With Thesis option: 8 courses (32 credits) + thesis (16 credits)
- Without thesis option: 10 courses (40 credits) + Capstone Project (8 credits) or 11 courses (44 credits) + Capstone Project (4 credits)
- This program does not allow Industrial Project option or Scholarly Paper option.
- A student admitted to the MTech program will give his/her choice regarding whether he/she wants to pursue the thesis or without thesis (Capstone) option. However, this choice can be changed at any time during the program by suitably informing the PG Committee. Credits earned for Capstone Project or Thesis may be counted towards thesis or Capstone Project respectively, if approved by the PGC.
Core AI Courses – A student has to complete all 3 core courses:
- Artificial Intelligence (CSE643)
- Introduction to Graduate Algorithms (CSE525) / Modern Algorithm Design (CSE519) /Theoretical Machine Learning (TML) (one of these)
- Statistical Machine Learning or Machine Learning (either one of these) (CSE542)
Core AI Electives – A student is required to complete minimum 2 courses (3 courses for Capstone Project option) from below:
- Advanced Machine Learning
- Deep Learning (CSE641)
- Machine Learning (CSE543)
- Multi-Agent Systems (CSE531)
- Probabilistic Graphical Models (CSE561)
- Reinforcement Learning (CSE564)
- Statistical Machine Learning (CSE542)
- Theoretical Machine Learning
Regular AI Elective - A student is required to complete at least 1 course (2 courses for Capstone Project option)
- All of the above and
- Advanced Computer Vision (CSE562)
- Biometrics (CSE341)
- Computer Vision (CSE544)
- Data Mining (CSE506)
- Image Analysis (CSE540)
- Information Retrieval (CSE508)
- Linear Optimization (MTH505)
- Natural Language Processing (CSE556)
- Probability and Random Processes (ECE501)
- Robotics (CSE633)
- A student can take up to 2 open electives
- All of the above and any CS course
- At most 4 credits of “Independent Study” and 4 credits of “Minor Project” can be taken.
We have young and dynamic faculty at IIIT-Delhi. A student can take elective courses offered by faculty members in different areas - the focus areas. Most of the courses will be taught by faculty members of the Infosys Center of Artificial Intelligence. In addition, there are plans to have some modules taught by experts from industry.
While internships during summer is not a requirement for the M.Tech degree, students are encouraged to do an internship to gain industry experience. To facilitate internships, the institute has made arrangements with some corporations to host interns from this program.