Indraprastha Institute of Information Technology, Delhi (aka. IIIT-Delhi or IIIT-D) was created as a State University by an act of Delhi Government (The IIIT Delhi Act, 2007) empowering it to do research and development, and grant degrees. In a relatively short time, it has earned an excellent reputation in India and abroad for being a center of quality education and research in IT and interdisciplinary areas.
Established in 2008, the institute has grown to be recognized as one of the most promising young institutions for education and research in India. Governed by the able leadership of a distinguished Board of Governors and equipped with highly qualified and accomplished faculty members, the institute has, in a short span of time, established a strong research culture, focused research groups, and innovative education programs. The institute is accredited ‘A’ grade by NAAC (National Assessment and Accreditation Council) and has been accorded 12-B status by the University Grants Commission (UGC).
The institute has its permanent campus in Okhla with start of the art infrastructure and modern facilities. IIIT-Delhi currently has six departments (Computer Science, Electronics and Communication, Computational Biology, Human Centered Design, Social Science and Humanities, and Mathematics); five Research Centres (Infosys Centre for Artificial Intelligence, Centre for Computational Biology, Centre for Design and New Media sponsored by TCS, Centre for Technology and Policing, and Cybersecurity Education and Research Centre); 60+ regular and 20+visiting faculty members, all Ph.D. from world’s best institutes.
The Institute is moving forward as a community and is firmly on the path to, sustainability and transformation, and thus becoming a globally respected and recognized institution. The management is committed to achieving certain goals to create an environment wherein intellectually capable, innovative and entrepreneurial professionals are nurtured and trained to work unceasingly to serve the nation and society.
The early days of this institute were chronicled by the founding Director, Prof. Pankaj Jalote in his blog here. See below for a list of all the major events of the institute so far.
Major Events and Notifications
- 2008: The IIIT-Delhi Act passed in Legislative Assembly (link)
- 2008: IIIT-Delhi officially established Notification (link)
- 2008: IIIT-Delhi officially established (link)
- 2008: First statute (link)
- 2008: First class for B.Tech (IT) (The program was later renamed to B.Tech (CSE) ) (link)
- 2009: PhD (CSE) started
- 2010: M.Tech (CSE) started
- 2011: Second statute (link)
- 2011: Notification of General Council (link)
- 2011: First Tech Fest
- 2012: First ordinance (link)
- 2012: B.Tech (ECE), M.Tech (ECE) and PhD (ECE) started
- 2012: Phase-I campus inaugurated by Smt. Sheila Dikshit, Chief Minister, Delhi (link)
- 2012: 1st Convocation (link)
- 2013: First two PhD candidates graduated
- 2014: First research centre (CERC)
- 2014: NAAC 'A' level accreditation
- 2015: M.Tech (CB) and PhD (CB) started
- 2015: NBA accreditation for B.Tech (CSE)
- 2016: First externally funded research centre (Infosys CAI)
- 2016: PhD (Mathematics) started
- 2016: B.Tech (CSAM) started
- 2017: B.Tech (CSD), and B.Tech (CSSS) started
- 2017: NBA accreditation for M.Tech (CSE)
- 2018: Phase II campus inaugurated by Shri. Arvind Kejriwal, Chief Minister, Delhi
- 2018: B.Tech (CSB) started
- 2018: PhD (SSH) started
- 2019: NBA Accreditation for B.Tech. (ECE)