- Artificial Intelligence (AI) has become an integral part of technology in our daily lives, driving to office, searching for a restaurant, getting news updates, and recommendations on social media are all using AI. With increase in usage, there is a significant requirement of researchers who can understand AI and build AI technologies. This program will provide students an opportunity to learn both foundational and experimental components of AI and Machine Learning.
- student completing this program will be able to undertake industry careers involving innovation and problem solving using Artificial Intelligence (AI) and Machine Learning (ML) technologies and research careers in AI, ML, and, in general, Computer Science areas. Along with courses that provide specialization in AI, students will also have option to explore applied domains such as computer vision, natural language processing, robotics, and autonomous systems as well as other interdisciplinary areas such as neuroscience, edge computing, and Internet of Things.
At the end of this program, a student should have:
- Understanding of foundational topics in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, and Machine Learning.
- Understanding of theoretical foundations and limits of Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning.
- Ability to design and implement algorithms and data structures for efficiently solving new problems.
- Ability to model and analyze a variety of problems using appropriate mathematical/computational and AI concepts.
- Ability of apply and develop AI algorithms to transform large amount of data into intelligent decisions and/or behavior.
- An understanding of the impact of AI based solutions in an economic, societal, and environment context.
Some of the salient points of this program are:
- As it is an AI-ML focused program, it "inverts the pyramid" and start with computing and basic AI oriented courses first followed by AI-ML application related courses along with other open electives. Besides being better suited for an AI program, it also enables the possibility of students seeing newer applications and possibilities of relating AI-ML with these subjects.
- Has a highly structured core AI program that focuses on Computer Science and Artificial Intelligence fundamentals as well as communication skills.
- After the core program, there is flexibility on the AI courses the students can choose for developing the skills and knowledge in various topics - computing and AI application domains.
- Humanities and social sciences is an integral part of the curriculum, particularly ethical aspects of AI.
- Allows motivated students to graduate with a "BTech (Honors)" by doing extra units.
- Has a heavy emphasis on hands-on practice with recent tools and technology as part of lab and programming assignments and courses projects.
- Builds research skills through courses like "independent study", "independent projects" and "undergraduate research" along with undergraduate thesis.
Last updated: 10-09-2021