IIIT-Delhi subscribes to the view, that a Master degree is primarily industry-focused, though it can be used as a stepping stone for research as well. The decision whether the degree is to be pursued for skill and knowledge up-gradation, or also for building research skills should rest with the student.
The Institute feels that to address the needs of the industry, which today requires more specialized manpower as each field is getting more complex, it is desirable to provide specializations within ECE in the M.Tech. program. For this, the Institute permits a student to do a "M.Tech." or "M.Tech. with specialization". The following are the available specializations:
M.Tech. (Electronics and Communications Engineering)
Note: The candidates need to indicate her/his preferences for all specializations while filling the online application form. The offer of admission will be done according to the filled preferences and the merit list.
Seat Distribution, Eligibility Criteria, M.Tech. Assistantship, Application Process
Particular requirements of each specialization can be seen here.
Both GATE and Non-GATE candidates with B.Tech/BE in ECE/EE (& its allied areas) or MSc in Electronics (for ECE) with 65% marks are eligible to apply for admission.
IIIT-Delhi provides relaxation to SC, ST, OBC, PwD and CW category candidates. Specifically, candidates under these categories must have 60% in their qualifying degree. Applicants who do not satisfy the above criteria will not be considered for admission.
Additional Criteria for GATE candidates
GATE score above the qualifying marks announced by GATE in the respective year i.e. 2021/2022/2023 will be considered valid. For ECE, "EC/EE/IN" GATE paper will be considered.
Important Note I (Conversion of CGPA to Percentage)
In the application form, only aggregate percentage will be taken from the applicants. Please read the instructions below.
If the University/Institute provides percentage as primary evaluation:
Applicants should directly fill the percentage in the form. In this case, the applicant will be required to give an undertaking form which is available here.
If the University/Institute provides CGPA or equivalent grading as primary evaluation:
The applicants having grading scheme i.e. result in CGPA or equivalent grading, will be required to convert their CGPA to percentage according to the conversion formulae prevailing in their respective university/institute. In addition, the applicant must upload a certificate on the official letter head from university/institute indicating the conversion from the CGPA to percentage.
If the applicant' university/institute does not provide the conversion from CGPA to percentage, the conversion formulae will be "multiplication of CGPA by 10" to derive the percentage. For example, if CGPA is 7.5, the equivalent in percentage will be 7.5x10 = 75%. In this case, the applicant will be required to give an undertaking form which is available here.
Note: The candidates who are facing challenges to get CGPA to percentage conversion certificate from their University due to COVID-19 situation can give a self-undertaking at the time of application submission, for which the applicant should carefully check what is the conversion rule of their University/Institute. All such candidates have to submit the duly signed conversion certificate from the University/Institute at the time of document verification, failing which their admission/studentship shall be liable for cancellation.
The candidates who are able to contact their university/institute over email or through any other medium are encouraged to get the same issued from their University itself.
Important Note II (For candidates in Final Year)
Candidates in the final year of their programs and who expect to complete all their qualifying degree requirements before the date of registration are also eligible to apply for admissions. For shortlisting and selection purposes, their performance until the preceding semester (preceding year if their programs are year based) would be considered but their admission would be provisional, subject to their meeting the minimum eligibility criteria after their final qualifying examination results are announced.
Assistantship for M.Tech. (ECE) students will be paid through AICTE-Direct benefit transfer (DBT) to the student's account directly, at the rate of Rs.12,400/- per month as per the approval of MHRD, Govt. of India for a maximum of 24 months from the date of starting of the classes at IIIT-Delhi. Institute will provide necessary support to the students to get the assistantship. For more details click here.
Note : Candidates admitted through Non-GATE seats will not be eligible for Assistantship
- Apply online: Fill up the M.Tech. application form available on this link.
- A candidate will be eligible to apply for one category only i.e. GATE or Non-GATE. During the process of admission if a duplicacy is detected, then he/she will be considered in the category of GATE qualified applicant only.
- Application checklist:
- Read the instructions carefully.
- Fill up the form online
- Pay the application processing fee of Rs.500/- (Additional Transaction Charges as Applicable)
Selection Process, Seat Allotment Procedure, Important Dates
The selection for M.Tech. admission will comprise of following processes:
- A Merit list with Rank will be prepared on the basis of GATE score and qualifying degree percentage.
- Offer of admission will be made on the basis of rank and specialization preference given at the time of filling application form.
1st Stage: Initial screening will be done on the basis of qualifying degree percentage. A limited number of applicants will be called to take part in the next stage.
2nd Stage: All the screened candidates will be invited for a hybrid (online/offline) interview.
(Information regarding the process of interview will be sent to the registered Email ID of the candidates)
- A Merit list with Rank will be prepared on the basis of performance in Interview and qualifying degree percentage.
- Offer of admission will be made on the basis of Rank. and specialization preference given at the time of filling application form.
The Institute reserves the right to change the screening criteria for shortlisting and selection. The Institute also reserves the right to fill the seats fully or partially at its own discretion without assigning any reasons thereof.
Seat Allotment Procedure
The preferences of specialization submitted by the candidates at the time of application will be processed and seats will be allotted in the order of merit as explained below. The allotment result will be available on the admission portal
First Round of Seat Allotment
- Online Provisional Allotment will be shown in the candidate's login account on IIIT-Delhi website for the candidates who get an allotment in this round.
- All the candidates who get an allotment in this round will have to pay the admission fee of Rs. 1,65,334/- online, failing which his/her allotted seat will stand automatically cancelled and candidate will not be considered for subsequent ONLINE rounds of seat allotment.
- Based on the number of candidates who accept the offer of admission in this round, the vacant seats will be made available for 2nd round of seat allotment
- In case, a candidate desires to continue in the specialization allotted to him/her (i.e. does not want himself/herself to be considered for upgradation to his/her higher preference of specialization in subsequent rounds of seat allotment), then he/she must submit a request to IIIT-Delhi. This process will also be an online process. After the payment, the freezing option will be enabled for the candidates who have been allotted their lower preferences. When the candidate will click on specialization freezing option, a form will be generated there. The dead line for freezing is same as the date of acceptance of offer for this round
Second Round of Seat Allotment
- Who is eligible for second round? The following types of candidates are eligible
- Type - I: All candidates in the merit list, who were not allotted any seats in the first round of seat allotment.
- Type - II: Candidates who were allotted a seat in the first round of seat allotment, paid their admission fee as required and not opted for Freezing of seat.
- Candidates MUST visit the website: https://admissions.iiitd.ac.in/mtech/ as per important dates for knowing the results for second round of seat allotment.
- Candidates who were allotted a seat in the first round of seat allotment and did not pay their admission fee are not eligible for second round and will be out of the seat allotment process.
- In this round, all eligible (Type - I & II as indicated above) candidates MUST visit the admission portal, as per important dates for knowing the allotment / upgradation of seat for him/her in this round. If an already admitted candidate has already exercised his/her option for freezing of allotted seat in the first round, the same will not be considered for the subsequent round of seat allotment.
- The preference choices submitted by the candidates will be processed centrally and the results would be made available on the admission portal.
- Candidates of Type - I, who get an allotment in this round will have to pay the admission fee of Rs. 1,65,334/- online failing which his/her allotted seat will stand automatically cancelled and candidate will not be considered for subsequent ONLINE rounds of seat allotment.
- Candidates of Type - II may either get a seat of his / her higher preference choice or their previously allotted seat may remain unchanged.
- In case, a Type - I candidates, who have been declared as successful candidates in this round, desires to continue in the specialization allotted to him/her at the time of admission (i.e. does not want himself/herself to be considered for upgradation to his/her higher preference specialization in subsequent rounds of seat allotment), then he/she must submit a request to IIIT-Delhi. This process will also be an online process. After the payment, the freezing option will be enabled for the candidates who have allotted their lower preferences. When the candidate will click on specialization freezing option, a form will be generated there. The dead line for freezing is same as the date of acceptance of offer for this round, which is defined within important dates.
- Type - II candidates can also freeze their specialization if they wish to do so with the same process mentioned at point viii above.
Third Round of Seat Allotment (If seats are available)
Same as second round.
Online Seat Allotment Procedure for the candidates who have applied for two programs (ECE+CB)
Those who have applied for two programs and are selected for both the programs in any round, can accept the offer for any one with the above mentioned procedure.
Visit the M.Tech. admission home page for important dates. Click Here
Fees (Tuition & Hostel), Refund Policy
Fees (Tuition & Hostel)
|1. M.Tech. program fee structure|
|Timeline for Withdrawal||Amount Refundable|
|On or before withdrawal date, upto 5 PM||Whole fees paid after deduction of Rs.1,000/-|
|After withdrawal date||10,000/- (only Security Deposit)|
Note - To withdraw admission student needs to send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org and withdraw his seat on the M.Tech admission portal through his/her login.
Admission, Allotment of Hostel, Refresher Module
Admission of the candidates, who accept the offer, will be done as per the schedule available under important dates.
Allotment of Hostel
The allotment of hostel will be done, upon the availability of rooms. Outside Delhi candidates will be given preference during allotment and Delhi candidates will be allotted hostel as per Institute policy.
IIITD has taken a unique initiative by introducing the concept of Refresher Module for incoming M.Tech. students. Those who accept the admission offer must attend the Refresher Module. For more details click here
Frequently Asked Questions, Admission Enquiry
Clear your doubts about M.Tech. Admission 2023 in Frequently Asked Questions.
For general queries, please refer to the frequently asked questions. Please do not email us with your resume/CV. The application must be filled online. For other information, you may contact us through:
Phone No: +91-11-26907505 (During office hours between 9:30 am to 5:30 pm)
Last updated: 17-03-2023